Thursday, February 12, 2009

Review - Spiro: Dawn of the Dragon

First Thoughts -- I CAN FLY!!!!!! :D
I can't fly? What's with the flight system here?
I CAN fly. Or at least here I can, but not over there. ?
I can play as Cynder? YES!!!!!!!
Hey look, Hunter is back! He's been gone sense day... A long time ago!

Story line -- although a little too cheesy, it's surprisingly attaching. Even my brother, who is very dark-toned and evil, liked it. However, some quests are illogical and idiotic, and some are obviously only in the game to fill up blank spots.

Gameplay -- Larger, more free levels then the past Spiro games, the breath types are improved and overall much cooler, and the flying bit is a huge plus. Also, Armor is available, and it actually shows up on your dragon (playing as a dragon is also a big plus) and gives nice bonus stats. The game can be played in 2 player co-op, I played along with my brother.

Sound -- This is one part of the game I dislike. Even the voiceovers sound cheesy. Cynder sounds too girly, Spiro sounds like a dork, Sparx sounds like a BIGGER dork and everyone else sounds stupid. However, the music is dramatic and inspiring, and it makes many levels what they are. (The music was taken form older games that didn't make good use of them.)

Graphics -- Classic Spiro cartoon. Obviously fantasy and not real, but good enough to keep you entertained.

Controls -- Uses a Wii remote, not a good thing. Controls are sometimes erratic and unreliable. Camera is always at the wrong angle.

Entertainment -- although some parts are cheesy and/or illogical, this game is very entertaining and I would recommend it to
anyone who pays attention to game story lines. However, extreme boredom will result from finishing the game as all other games will seem drama-less and dull.

Over all rating - 8.5 or 9. Some things could be changed, but the dramatic, climactic story makes up for almost all bugs.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have a spiro game... I don't remember which one though... I'll get back to you on that one.

Wolfington said...

There are a ton of Spiro games out there, most of the old ones had nearly no story line.

The trilogy of Spiro games that lead up to Dawn of the Dragon are in this order;
Spiro: A new Beginning
Spiro: Eternal Night
Spiro: Dawn of the Dragon

The last one is the only one really worth mentioning though.

Anonymous said...

Err... I don't think it's one of those... I'm too lazy to check now, though. Maybe later.

And I'm preeti. Just I changed my blogger name.

Wolfington said...

Nice. I like the pic.

Anonymous said...

What's Spiro?

Wolfington said...

Spiro is a purple dragon, main character in a bunch of games.

Anonymous said...

cool! a purple dragon!! What does it do?

Wolfington said...

He runs around and breathes fire, ice, electricity and earth.

But the games a lot more entertaining then just running around and breathing elements.

Anonymous said...

he breaths earth...that just sounds weird.